Friday, September 13, 2013

An Outsider's Greatest Gift

So I've finally arrived to New Jersey. But it was not an easy 13-hour drive.

I had driven drives either comparable or longer than 13 hours before -- 17 to Virginia Beach, VA,  14 to Deadwood, SD, 14 to Seattle, WA (from Yellowstone), and 22 from El Paso, TX to Chicago, IL -- but this one was much unlike the rest. Each one of these lengthy, wonderful yet boring, adventurous yet monotonous, worshipful yet exhausting times on the road have been secured with the reality that I will be going home soon. That when I arrive home, it will still be my home. I will find my repose in the comforts and familiarities of my fluffy pillows and my scented bed sheets, right out of the dryer. I will stroll, jog, or even saunter down the blocks of McGuane Park, or bike down the Magnificent Mile. When I was done with that, I'd walk to Bridgeport Coffeehouse to get an refreshing iced coffee or drive Uptown to get a delicate yet casual bowl of Pho from Tank Noodle. I knew where I could go to find safety. The nooks. The crannies. On this drive, I was faced with the reality that I did not know. I was faced with the fact that Chicago may not be my home for a very long time. There might be long stretches of time before I even had the chance to go back. Not only was I faced with this reality of a new home, I had 13 hours of facing reality.

As I began driving down 90/94 west, I got through the skyway and paid a toll. Driving through Indiana was just the beginning stages of unbelievable freakout. Having accepted my move, I did not think I would be going through the restlessness I did so soon. I remembered thinking, "I'd been to New Jersey before, but this is not a short trip we're talking about here. This is real life. I will be in New Jersey for some years." Then, I proceeded to think, "I know nothing about New Jersey" and "I know nothing about money."

And then I prayed, "Jesus, get me through this drive without having a heart attack. Amen."

Indiana. Ohio. Pennsylvania. There really was not much on the road to distract me from such sentimental thoughts, such natural emotions, and such anxiety because I would not consider my route particularly picturesque. And neither would you, if you were with me. I texted my brother halfway through the drive saying, "How's home?" Very insinuating of me. Just ask me the darn question. Or any question, so that I could tell you I miss home; so that I wouldn't have to wrestle with this reality alone on a 13-hour drive while Taylor Swift is singing about her latest break-up. Not helping.

"How's the drive?"

(YES.) "It's alright. Trying not to miss home too much." My brother offered his words of consolation and it cushioned me in such emotional and cognitive relief that I had enough stamina to make the rest of the drive. The cliche was that Pennsylvania poured throughout the entire 5-hours from one end to the other. So you're feeling me too, huh Pennsylvania? Okay, okay, okay, so what's with the title of this post.

The outsider's greatest gift is not comforts and familiarities. The insider's gift is such a thing; yet I'd challenge all to consider also that it may be the insider's greatest vice. The outsider's greatest gift is an incarnational hospitality.

There was no doubt in my mind that entering my new home would be both a joyful and sorrowful experience. I would still be deep in the process of grieving the departure from my home amongst all of the sub-inquiries that I had in my mind. But the unforseen surprise for me was this: the rain stopped pouring. The rain stopped pouring in New Jersey.

I walked into my pastor's home, whose place I would be staying at for who knows how long, and I was greeted with great joy, eager expectation, and a confirming desire for relational investment. This family offered to me not only a bed to sleep on, but a basement to live in. They offered not only a space for physical rest, but a more of a sanctuary, where I could find spiritual rest. They even acquired for me a brand new desk and television; which is more than I need. The church greeted me with the same kind of hospitality the next day while I put my office together with the greatest amount of feng-shui I was artistically capable of. Lastly, I was touched by the group of post-grad men serving in Bible Church International; as they loved me and welcomed me with their hospitality. As if that was not enough, they burned with fervent spirits and powerful vision for the youth group. I was deeply encouraged. There were aspects that reminded me of home, and others that reminded me of my travels, and yet others still that I was completely unfamiliar. Yet the rain stopped in my heart, and the grieving was done. I'm here; continuing in my pilgrimage as I always had been. I pray the Lord keeps me steadfast.

New Jersey, my love for you is increasing day by day. And so is my burden.

And I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment